Croeso i Flwyddyn 1!
Welcome to Year 1!
Our classes this year are:
Dosbarth Glas - Miss Sheedy & Mrs Walters
Dosbarth Coch - Mrs Shears, Miss Lewis
Healthy snack is available from school and costs £1 per week or 20p a day if you would like your child to receive school snack. If you would rather provide your own snack, you may also send in a healthy snack for your child to have during snack time.
Dosbarth Glas will have P.E. on a Tuesday.
Dosbarth Coch will have P.E. on a Thursday.
Please bring the following items on P.E. days:
T-Shirt / Crys-T
Shorts / Siorts
Trainers or daps / Esgidiau chwaraeon
Please ensure all P.E. kit is clearly labelled.
Your child will be given a reading book for home reading, and a reading record for comments. These books will be changed weekly if the children have read their book. Please leave a comment in their reading record so the teachers know that the book is ready to be changed during the week. Please return books and reading records by a Thursday each week.
Summer 1 - Dens and Dandelions
Welcome back! We are now beginning the Summer term and what an exciting, busy term it is going to be! Our topic for the next 6 weeks is Dens and Dandelions. This topic is going to have a scientific focus, where the children will be exploring the different living things that we can find outdoors, including a range of plants, mini-beasts and other animals. We will be visiting Mountain View Ranch later on in the topic, where the children will be taking part in wonderful outdoor activities, such as the Gruffalo trail and toasting marshmallows around a campfire!
Our 3 big questions for this topic will be:
- What do plants need to grow?
- Are mini-beasts all the same?
- Where do plants and mini-beasts live?
Important dates coming up in this topic:
- Back to school - Monday 29th April 2019
- INSET day - Friday 3rd May 2019
- Bank holiday - Monday 6th May 2019
- INSET day - Tuesday 7th May 2019
- Outdoor Classroom Day - Thursday 23rd May 2019
- Break up for Whitsun - Friday 24th May 2019
- Back to school - Monday 3rd June 2019
- Mountain View Ranch visit - Tuesday 11th June 2019
Spring 2 - Dragon Tales
Welcome back - we hope you have had a wonderful Half Term break! We have a very busy half term coming up, including:
- Belated St David's Day celebrations (6th March)
- World Book Day (7th March)
- Weekly Forest School sessions (Monday and Tuesdays)
- Caerphilly Castle Trip (26th March)
Our topic this half term is 'Dragon Tales', which will have a particular Historical and Geographical focus on Welsh Castles, and castles around the world. We will be visiting Caerphilly Castle on Tuesday 26th March 2019, where the children will have the opportunity to explore the Welsh castle and their dragon lair.
Our topic this half term is 'Superheroes'. As part of this topic we will be comparing and contrasting the different features of some popular Superheroes, creating our own Superheroes and super powers, and looking at the real-life Superheroes that exist all around us.
The 3 big questions we will be trying to answer during this topic are:
- What different powers do Superheroes have?
- What does being a 'Superhero' really mean?
- Are there any real-life Superheroes?
Don't forget our Superhero Topic Engage Day on Tuesday 8th January 2019. Year 1 Children are invited to come to school dressed as their favourite Superhero!
Our topic this half term is 'Dinosaur Discovery'. As part of this topic we will be covering a wide variety of activities and skills to answer the following big questions:
- When were dinosaurs alive?
- What were the features of different dinosaurs?
- Where did dinosaurs live?
Our topic this half term is "Yr Ysgol". During this topic we will be covering a range of skills whilst finding out the answers to the following big questions:
- Why do we go to school?
- How has Bryn Hafod and the local area changed over time?
- What helps us at school?
- Who are my friends?
We have attached our topic web map below.